Tips to Organize Your Garage
Typically, the garage is the landing spot for clutter and junk of all sorts, that doesn’t have anywhere else to go.
Most garages do not have any organization at all and it is estimated that only 30% of people park their car in their garage. Why? There is no room! Many people avoid cleaning out their garage because it can be a daunting task. If you properly organize your garage you would be shocked at how much stuff you can actually fit in there. Here are a few pointers to getting your garage organized.
- The first step and often times the most difficult, is going through and getting rid of all the stuff you no longer use or need. Make three piles with: stuff you want to keep, yard sale items/donate, and things you need throw away. Do not hold onto things that you don’t absolutely have to have!
- Now that you have weeded out all the unwanted clutter you can begin to organize things. The best way to do this is to group similar items together. This will make it easy to locate things down the road.
- Then strategically decide what area of the garage should be used for what. For instance, items you rarely use or seasonal items should not be in the area of the garage with a lot of traffic, instead, tuck them back in the corner where they will be out of the way.
- The best way to save space is to get everything off the floor when possible. This can be done by a number of ways such as hanging things, using cabinets, and shelves. Pegboard is a great way to free up space and stay organized. It is cheap and easy to install. Also, create an overhead storage system. This works great for seasonal items!
- Use clear stackable plastic bins to store things. Make sure they are clearly labeled. This will save you time down the road when you can quickly see what is in the bin as well as read the label.