How to Get Fresh Fruits and Veggies for Cheap!
I love how much better I feel when my diet consists of fresh fruits and veggies. The only down side of this type of diet is the expense. Not to mention in this day and age, it’s hard to tell if you are actually getting real produce or some sort of creation from a lab.
Enter Bountiful Baskets! Bountiful Baskets is a food co-op run purely by volunteers. They distribute baskets filled with organic produce, artisan bread, and sandwich bread every other week. The best part of this co-op is that it has locations all over the US.
What’s in the basket?
Baskets are generally made up of 6 fruits and 6 veggies. Volunteers base the offerings on what is in season, the value, and what’s available locally. The offerings do change frequently so keep a close eye on their website.
Offerings can also include the following:
- Produce By the Case: Utah peaches, citrus, tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, apples, pears, chiles, etc.
- Bread Products: sandwich bread, hamburger/hotdog buns, ciabatta, chile cheese, cinnamon raisin & other specialty breads
- Ethnic/Specialty Produce Packs: Italian, Asian, Mexican, guacamole, party produce pack (think guacamole, salsa, and things you dip in ranch!)
- Pantry Items: rice, beans, granola, olive oil, canola oil, all-natural nut butters
- Decadent Deserts with 100% butter, no hydrogenated oils or corn syrup
How much does it cost?
The best benefit of Bountiful Baskets is a cost savings of about $35 compared to purchasing produce at the grocery store.
Baskets are $15 for a conventional basket that includes produce on the same quality level as the grocery store. If you want a 100% certified organic basket, you’ll pay $25.
How do I get one?
- First you will have to create an account on their website.
- Once you are logged in, go to ‘Participate Now’. From this screen you will see all available locations for the current week (Orders must be placed Monday or Tuesday prior to the event).
- Find a location that works for you and click ‘Get My Basket’.
- Complete the form and checkout online.
- Bring your receipt and a container for your goodies on the day of the event!
Now that you have all of this delicious produce, what are you planning to do with it?
Use the vegetables you purchase to make Cheesy Red Pepper Pizza.
Or are you into juicing? Check out our blogs Juicing 101 – The Good, The Bad, and The Juicy and Choosing the Best Ingredients for Your Juice & Body